Friday, October 22, 2010

Our Lives as Mathematicians



In math workshop we're striving to teach our students "number sense." Why? So they can use math in their everyday lives with confidence. When they're not in school how do our kids use their math skills? If they're saving money for a new video game, book, or toy it is important to know how to add and subtract money. Telling time and understanding a calendar are life skills too. Knowing about odd and even can be helpful when dividing up candy treats or choosing teams. These are just a few of the skills we practice everyday in math. How do you use your math skills in your daily life?

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Twice this week, Carter surprised me with his math skills. We were in a store the other day and he wanted to buy something that was four dollars. He said, "It'll cost $4.28." I asked how he knew and he said that in Florida there is a seven cent sales tax on every dollar. (Must be Ross/Russell because I haven't taught him that.)

Then, last night he wanted to buy, The Diary of a Wimpy Kid. We went to Target after the first book and ended up with the whole box set. How could I not give in when he convinced me, using mental math, that I could save about $3.00?

Melanie Holtsman said...

I use math to figure out payments and change a lot since I usually stop somewhere to either buy coffee, lunch or a grocery store visit. I use mental math when I go for a big grocery store visit to figure out how much I am spending as I go. I do a lot of rounding up and rounding down when I do that. And recently, when my kids were sick, I had to use elapsed time to figure out if it was time to give them another dose of their medicine.